University of Birmingham
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £41,526 to £49,533 with potential progression once in post to £55,750
Band/Grade: Grade 8
Duration: Fixed-term for up to 24 months
Closing Date: 19 September 2021
The Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage (BCES) is one of the flagship research centres at the Birmingham Energy Institute. Since 2013, BCES has grown rapidly and enhanced its reputation for research. We are looking for an experienced research manager to contribute at a senior level to maintaining and further developing the Centre’s performance.
This role will involve working closely with the Centre Director to identify relevant and strategic opportunities for research income generation, to seek leading roles in novel areas of research, and to generate a positive profile and impact for BCES. Identifying appropriate efficiencies within BCES is a major priority, ensuring that the Centre maintains its ability to deliver at pace. BCES day-to-day activity will include end-to-end project management for research (public and private) and engaging project stakeholders. A significant proportion of time will be spent developing consortia for research grant applications, taking the lead on behalf of the Director as necessary and driving initiatives forward. The post-holder will contribute directly to proposal writing. Engagement at both School and College level is required to act as a conduit between the Operations Team and BCES, maintaining a positive relationship through regular communication and joint problem-solving.
The role will involve line management duties and some international travel throughout the job lifetime.
Main Duties/Responsibilities include
Ensuring that BCES runs effectively will be an important element of the post-holder’s activity
Research and Project Management
The post-holder is expected to work closely with academic staff members to identify relevant research income opportunities and capture these, as well as managing them once they are set up.
Person Specification includes
- Educated to degree level or significant equivalent experience in an education/higher education environment
- Excellent negotiation skills
- A knowledge of leadership that can be applied to managing a team
- Work sensitively with internal and external stakeholders
- Influence stakeholders, gaining their input when time constrained
- Identify and present solutions to hurdles that arise
- Identify and understand the priorities of other stakeholders
- Knowledge of / experience in the energy sector
- Experience of managing and delivering complex, collaborative projects
- Knowledge of bid writing and submission processes to UK Research and Innovation (other funders including BEIS are desirable)
Informal enquiries can be made to Lada Zimina; email@example.com
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please visit our careers website; https://bham.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en&portal=101430233, please quote Job Ref 55823 in all enquiries.