£30,942 to £40,322 With potential progression once in post to £42,792 a year.
Fixed term until 28 February, 2023
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322. With potential progression once in post to £42,792 a year.
Closing date 18 October, 2020
We are seeking to recruit a full time Post-Doctoral Knowledge Exchange Research Fellow position to undertake a specified range of activities within the area of thermal energy processes and thermal energy storage, recovery and valorization of waste heat and cold.
Deep emission reduction is ubiquitously associated with the need of development and adoption of efficient thermal energy processes and thermal energy storage in Industrial processes, from small SMEs to large energy-intensive industries. This is exemplified by key UK priorities such as the Clean Growth Strategy, BEIS industrial heat recovery programme and the Industrial Decarbonization Challenge.
For a number of novel thermal processes and storage technologies there is a significant potential for improvement and opportunities for adoption. This is particularly crucial in the case of waste heat recovery technologies in combination with novel latent thermal storage and/or thermochemical energy storage devices.
To this aim, we are looking for a Research Fellow with a track record in thermal processes design, modelling and optimization. The fellow will closely collaborate with SMEs, industrial partners and other researchers, on a variety industry challenge projects brought forwards within the ATETA project. Promising solutions will form the basis for the development of new collaborative project proposals, funding applications and demonstration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, develop and assess novel processes for waste heat recovery, thermal energy storage and thermochemical heat storage and upgrade
- Carry out techno-economic process modelling of waste heat recovery technologies (e.g. ORCs, Heat Transformers, chemical heat pumps, etc) integrated into industrial processes
- To communicate results through reports, oral presentations, posters and peer-reviewed scientific publications
- Engage with SMEs, industry and innovators to establish collaborative research aiming to develop, improve and adopt relevant thermal energy processes, waste heat recovery and thermal/thermochemical energy storage
Skills and Experience
- You must have a proven track record in engineering thermodynamics, process simulations, optimization, heat integration and process and units design
- You must be able to demonstrate understanding in principles and applications of process modelling with commercial and/or open source packages (e.g., MATLAB, Engineering Equation Solver (EES), Aspen Plus, Modelica, gPROMS, etc)
- A PhD(or near completion) in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, process system engineering or energy engineering
- You should have a record of peer reviewed journals and have experience of presenting your work to different stakeholders
- Prior experience in experimental analysis of thermal processes is a plus
- Prior experience of modelling thermal processes with integrated thermal energy storage units is a plus
Informal enquires can be made to Dr Adriano Sciacovelli; firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date : 18/10/20 post number: 96287
This is a full time fixed term position up to 28th February 2023.
Please apply here.