Lyngby – Denmark
Department of Energy Conversion and Storage at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Energy) invites applications for a 2-year experimental postdoc position to work on the development of next-generation metal-air batteries.
The project aims to develop a new metal-air battery consisting of metal alloy anode and various types of liquid electrolytes e.g. polymeric ionic liquid and eutectic solvents. The main focus of the project is to discover the material combinations that leads to an improved cyclability. The overall goal is to determine the best design parameters and operating conditions to maximize the longevity of the battery cell. The research project will be conducted as a collaboration between the Section for Imaging and Structural Analysis (ISA) and the Section for Atomic Scale Modelling (ASM). The experimental work is done in the framework of ISA and the achieved results are related to the modelling activities that are performed in ASM. The research environment is international, inspiring and dynamic.
Responsibilities and tasks
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with the experimental and simulation groups to discover the optimal material combinations that yield a significantly improved cyclability. Main duties of the position include:
- Design and synthesis of metal alloys and liquid electrolytes
- Battery cell assembly and electrochemical characterization
- Analysing degradation processes of battery cells
- Structural and morphological studies of electrodes during battery cycling.
Candidates should have a PhD degree in experimental physics, chemistry, materials science or equivalent. The core skills for the project are:
- Experience in assembling and characterizing metal-air batteries
- Experience in Differential Electrochemical Mass Spectroscopy (DEMS)
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility for progress and quality of projects
- Ability to work in a team environment
Moreover, the successful candidate is:
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic about the research topic
- Able to work in an organized fashion, document and disseminate scientific results such as writing results in reports and publications
- Able to work with diverse colleagues with working on theory and experiments
The assessment of the applicants will be made by: Assistant Professor Jin Hyun Chang, Professor Poul Norby, Professor Tejs Vegge and Head of Section Luise Theil Kuhn
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The employment is expected to start on October 1st, 2020 or soon thereafter.
The position is for 2 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.
We must have your online application by 31 July 2020 (23:59 local time).
To view the full announcement and to apply: www.career.dtu.dk