Lyngby – Denmark
Postdoc position in in situ diffraction studies of batteries
Department of Energy Conversion and Storage at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Energy) invites applications for a 2-year experimental postdoc position to work on in situ and operando methods for studies of operating battery cells. The position is part of the European BIG-MAP project (Battery Interface Genome – Materials Acceleration Platform) where we intend to accelerate materials discovery with autonomous synthesis and characterization using machine learning and artificial intelligence. The BIG-MAP project is part of the large-scale European Research Initiative Battery2030+ (www.battery2030.eu).
Responsibilities and tasks
The main focus of the postdoc work will be development and application of laboratory- and synchrotron X-ray based diffraction and scattering methods for studies of interfaces in lithium ion batteries under operando conditions. The successful postdoc will be part of the section for Imaging and Structural Analysis and will work in close collaboration with the European partners in the BIG-MAP project and with the atomic scale simulation section at DTU Energy in an international, inspiring and dynamic research environment.
Main duties of the position include:
1) Plan and carry out in situ and operando experiments for studies of interfaces in operating lithium ion batteries.
2) Write proposals for experiments at large scale synchrotron X-ray facilities.
3) Perform data analysis on large amounts of data.
4) Participate in developing standards and protocols for data format and sharing.
5) Propose and design novel in situ and operando experiments and equipment.
Candidates should have a PhD degree in experimental physics, chemistry, materials science or equivalent.
The core skills for the project are:
- Experience in assembling and characterizing rechargeable batteries
- Experience in X-ray diffraction methods
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility for progress and quality of projects
- Ability to work in a team environment
Moreover, the successful candidate is:
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic about the research topic
- Able to work in an organized fashion, document and disseminate scientific results such as writing results in reports and publications
- Able to work with diverse colleagues with working on theory and experiments
The assessment of the applicants will be made by: Professor Poul Norby, Head of Section Luise Theil Kuhn, and Professor Tejs Vegge.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The employment is expected to start on January 1st, 2021 or soon thereafter. The position is for 2 years.
If you need further information concerning this position, please contact Prof. Poul Norby at email@example.com.
Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.
We must have your online application by 22 November 2020 (Danish time).
To view the full announcement and to apply: www.career.dtu.dk