near Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Up to £60,000 (GBP) p.a. depending on expertise and experience
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation is a world leader in developing innovative living environmental systems for residential, commercial and industrial applications. As a global, leading green company, we are applying our technologies to contribute to society and daily life around the world. Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre Europe B.V., as a research centre of Mitsubishi Electric Corporation in Europe, develops cutting edge technology to advance product performance through innovative scientific and engineering solutions.
Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre Europe B.V. is focussed on development of renewable energy technology including energy systems and heat pumps for heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVACS) in buildings. The research centre shares the location of the European HVACS manufacturing facility of Mitsubishi Electric in the heart of Scotland’s Central Belt, close to the capital city, Edinburgh. Scotland is a modern, liberal country with a high standard of living, excellent arts and culture, magnificent wild landscapes and a strong tradition in world-leading science, technology and engineering, including great pioneers such as Watt, Thomson and Maxwell.
We are now seeking a Research Engineer to join the Environment & Energy Systems Division in our UK branch. The company offers a competitive benefits package and a dynamic working environment for career development.
Job Title: Research Engineer
Hours of Work: Full time (35 hrs per week)
Location: near Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Holidays: 25 days (pro rata) in the first year; 27 days thereafter. Plus national holidays.
Salary: Up to £60,000 (GBP) p.a. depending on expertise and experience
Benefits: Company Pension Scheme, Medical & Dental Insurance (+ family), Life Insurance Cover, Permanent Health Insurance, Paid Sick Leave, Relocation support (£8,000), Childcare vouchers, Flexible working (incl. Flexi-Time), Subsidised restaurants, Patent application incentives.
Contract: Permanent – with 3 months notice for each party
Role & Responsibilities:
As a Research Engineer, you will be working under the direction of the Head of Research, Environment & Energy Systems Division.
- You will carry out innovative research and development of HVAC and thermal energy technology and systems for residential and commercial buildings.
- You will undertake technology research and development for final application to realising zero energy buildings (ZEB), based on experimental results and university collaborations.
- You will develop thermal energy management and HVAC technology for HVAC and energy systems in European buildings.
- You will evaluate the performance of thermal energy management and HVAC technology by experimental measurement as well as simulation.
- Developed technology will be captured by patent applications and published in academic forums.
- You will collaborate with global Mitsubishi Electric R&D laboratories and product business units, including business trips within Europe and to Japan.
- Being accurate and self-reliant with the ability to quickly pick up new ideas, you will logically approach problems and effectively provide novel solutions.
- You must have a positive attitude and strong commitment to your work and have the ability to work to project plans and prioritise your own tasks.
Skills & Experience required:
- Ph.D in a relevant engineering subject, preferably in a thermal or energy field.
- A first degree in engineering, particularly mechanical or mechatronics, or physics.
- At least 2 years post-qualification practical experience in an industrial or academic environment.
- Expertise in HVAC equipment and systems, including air-to-water heat pumps, ground source heat pumps, water circuit (hydronic) systems, heating systems, domestic hot water systems, radiator, fan-coil unit, heat exchanger.
- Expertise in thermal physics, including thermodynamics, thermofluids, refrigerant cycle, heat transfer, heat storage, heat recovery.
- Expertise in energy systems, including, for example, renewable energy, solar thermal, solar photovoltaic, energy management, thermal energy management, district heating & cooling, district energy.
- Expertise in experimental measurement, instrumentation and data acquisition, using, for example, National Instruments data loggers, LabView software.
- Expertise in data analysis, using, for example, Python or Matlab for data processing.
- Expertise in mechanical system prototyping.
- Knowledge of zero energy buildings and houses (ZEB, ZEH) in Europe; regulations, design and evaluation.
- Experience of computer aided design software, for example, SolidWorks.
- Expertise in HVACS / energy simulation, using, for example, TRNSYS, Modelica / Dymola.
- Experience in programming languages, for example, C/C++/C#.
- Expertise in computational fluid dynamics, for flow and heat transfer simulation, using, for example, Dassault Systeme XFlow or ANSYS Fluent.
- Excellent oral communication skills and excellent written and presentation skills in English for technical report writing and presentation, as well as academic publications (journals and conferences).
- Strong publication record in leading international conferences and journals.
- Excellent problem–solving and organizational skills and a desire for continuous learning.
- Ability to effectively apply all the skills in a fast-paced challenging industrial research environment within a team of experienced professionals. Ability to work independently and use own initiative.
- Candidates with transferable skills from energy, process and automotive industries would be considered.
- Applicants should preferably be eligible to work in the UK without the need for sponsorship under the Points Based System of employment visas.
Due to the large volume of applications received and UK immigration law, all applicants must state their nationality explicitly. Applications that do not disclose this information will not be considered.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV, including a list of patents and publications, clearly stating your nationality, to:
Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre Europe B.V.
17 Firth Rd., Houstoun Industrial Estate
Livingston, West Lothian, U.K., EH54 5DJ
email: email@example.com, telephone: +44 (0)1506 446970
If applying by email, ensure that the email subject line includes “Ref: EES-RE-2020-A”.